This Red White and Blue Trifle is loaded with the delicious flavors of blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries along with angel food cake, a sweet and tangy lemon syrup, and a rich cream cheese frosting. We make this recipe fun by serving it in little mason jars! Perfect for a BBQ or party!
The 4th of July is coming up fast, and if you’re looking for a delicious dessert to bring to your get-together, then this is it. We love this trifle because it has all the classic colors of the patriotic holiday. And a ton of sweet flavor of course.
Trifles are a great dessert for every and any occasion. Easy to make and loved by all! Change out the fruit and this trifle is going to be your go to dessert for every occasion! We love making this Red White and Blue Trifle in a trifle bowl naturally. But then we make extra ingredients on the side and serve it in jars. The kids especially love this!
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s quick and easy.
- It is decadent and sweet.
- It’s loaded with patriotic colors.
- Everyone loves trifles!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Sliced strawberries
- Lemon juice
- Almond extract
- Room temperature cream cheese
- Room temperature heavy cream
- Vanilla extract
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make This Red White and Blue Trifle
Step 1: Make the Lemon Syrup
Mix the water, sugar, and lemon juice in a pan over medium-high heat until dissolved. Remove it from the heat and add the almond extract. Set it aside. (If you wish you can eliminate this but we find it is too delicious and so easy to make! We always make it)
Step 2: Prep the Angel Food Cake
Cut the angel food cake into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
Step 3: Make the Frosting
Start by beating the sugar and cream cheese in a large bowl with a hand mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Then, add the heavy cream and beat again at high speed until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl a couple of times throughout the process. Finally, add the vanilla and mix again until smooth and fluffy.
Step 4: Construct the Trifle
Add half the angel food cake to the bottom of a 13-cup trifle dish. You will then, brush it with half the lemon syrup until fully coated. Next, add one-third of the blueberries. Cover with half the frosting, then layer half of the strawberries over it. Repeat the process a second time, finishing by adding the remaining fruit on top. Chill for at least an hour.
Hint: A hand mixer is the best way to make the frosting. You just can’t beat it vigorously enough by hand.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Packaged Frosting – You can use pre-packaged frosting if you prefer.
- Cream Cheese Pudding – Use a mixture of cream cheese and vanilla pudding in place of the frosting if you like.
Take a look at this other red white and blue dessert recipe on this site!
You’ll only need some very basic kitchen equipment to make this recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Trifle dish
- Hand mixer
- Cutting board
Do you want to make individual trifles? All you have to do is layer the ingredients in the same way in tall glasses.
You can store leftover trifle covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This is such a simple recipe to make, we don’t have many tips. There are a couple of lookouts, but that’s about it.
- Be sure to thoroughly coat the angel food cake in the syrup, but don’t soak it so much that it falls apart.
- I urge you not to try making this recipe with a whisk unless you have some serious arm strength.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
You can store leftover trifle in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
It’s a layered dessert using angel food cake or sponge cake soaked in a syrup or fortified wine and layered with custard, frosting, or whipped cream, and fruit.
The word trifle comes from the old French word, trufe, which means something of little importance or something easy. That makes sense because trifles are incredibly easy to make.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy fruity recipes? Then, try these delicious recipes and more:
- Healthy Popsicles with Fruit and Yogurt
- Strawberry Shortcake Roll Ice Cream
- Raspberry Cheesecake Cookie Bars
- Buckeye Brownie Recipe
- Butterfinger Cheesecake Bars
- Banana Pudding Cheesecake Bars
🧾Red White and Blue Trifle
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Red White and Blue Trifle
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- mixing bowls
- Trifle dish
- Hand mixer
- Cutting board
- Premade angel food cakes cut into 1-inch cubes (20 ounces)
- 2 pints blueberries
- 2 pints strawberries sliced
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1 pint blackberries
Lemon Syrup Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon 1 medium lemon
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 packages cream cheese room temperature (16 ounces)
- 2 cups heavy cream at room temperature (16 ounces)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Make the lemon syrup by mixing the water, sugar, and lemon juice in a pan over medium to high heat. Mix until dissolved. Do not boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the almond extract. Set aside.
- Cut the angel food cake into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
- For the frosting, beat the sugar and cream cheese with a mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy in a large bowl. Add the heavy cream and beat with a hand mixer on medium to high speed until smooth. Scrape the sides 1-2 times throughout mixing. Add the vanilla and mix until the frosting is fluffy and creamy.
- To layer the trifle, start by placing half of the cubed Angel food cake in the bottom of a 13-cup trifle dish.
- Brush the Angel food cake cubes with half of the lemon syrup until fully coated.
- Layer ⅓ of blueberries over the cubes.
- Pour half of the frosting over the blueberries.
- Layer ½ of the strawberries over the frosting.
- Repeat this process a second time and finish by adding the remaining fruit to the top.
- Cover and place in the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour before serving.