Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork
If you love pulled pork, then you have to try this Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork. Root beer and your favorite BBQ sauce combine to create super tender pulled pork with a sauce that’s unlike anything you’ve ever had before.
This slow cooker root beer pulled pork is going to be the hit of your next BBQ and you won’t have to heat up the kitchen with the oven!
Pork slow cooks until falling apart in a sauce of root beer and BBQ sauce with a few seasonings. This is so delicious and perfect piled high on soft buns with coleslaw.
We understand if you’re on the fence about this recipe. We were, too, when it was first introduced to us. We’ll try anything, though, so we made a batch of this pulled pork, and it’s been one of our favorite recipes ever since!
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It only takes 6 ingredients to make.
- It’s an incredibly simple slow cooker recipe.
- The pulled pork is super tender and the sauce is tangy and zippy.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This recipe only takes a pork roast, BBQ sauce, root beer, and a few spices. That’s it! Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Boneless pork shoulder roast
- Root beer
- BBQ sauce
- Onion powder
- Garlic salt
- Cajun seasoning
- Smoked paprika
🔪 How to Make Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork
This is probably the easiest pulled pork recipe you’ll ever make. It takes 10 minutes of prep, then you just have to wait!
Step 1: Combine the Ingredients
Add the shoulder roast to the slow cooker. Then, cover it with the seasonings. After that, pour in the root beer and half the bottle of BBQ sauce into the slow cooker.
Step 2: Cook
Close the lid and cook on low for 8 hours or until the meat is falling apart.
Step 3: Finish
Discard any fat from the pork and shred it with two forks or shredding claws. Add the rest of the BBQ sauce, stir, and enjoy on buns.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – Add red pepper flakes for a kick of heat.
- BBQ Sauce – Use any variety of BBQ sauce you like.
- Pork Roast – Make this with beef roast or chicken breasts, just adjust your cooking time accordingly.
For more easy, delicious BBQ, check out our other slow cooker pulled pork recipe.
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Slow cooker
- Forks or shredding claws
Store this pulled pork for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
- De-fat and shred your pork while it’s as hot as safely possible. Hot meat shreds much more easily than cool meat.
- Leave the fat on until the meat is cooked. It helps keep it super moist and tender.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Pulled pork is an American BBQ dish that originated in the south. It’s typically made with a shoulder roast slow-cooked over wood. It can also be made indoors with a crock pot or in the oven.
It’s almost impossible to do it, but it can be done. If you cook your pork without enough liquid, it can overcook and get tough.
That’s largely a matter of personal preference. Each method works very well but yields different flavors.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy slow cooker recipes? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork
- slow cooker
- two forks
- 3-4 pound boneless pork shoulder butt roast
- 12 ounces root beer
- 18 ounces bbq sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 cups Coleslaw for topping optional
- 12 Buns
- Place the pork into the slow cooker.
- Cover the pork roast with the seasonings.
- Pour the root beer into the slow cooker.
- Pour half of the bottle of bbq sauce over the pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until the meat is falling apart.
- Discard any fat from the pork.
- Shred the pork.
- Add the rest of the bbq sauce and stir to combine.