Smothered Pork Chops with Onion and Mushrooms – A delicious pork chop recipe that is a family favorite recipe. Even picky eaters will love this delicious recipe!
This recipe was given to me years ago by a friend who got it from her Nana who got it from her Auntie Nettie who got it from her Mamey lol. In any case the first time I had these they were delicious and so tender.
They are so simple to throw together and once you get them together you just let them simmer for an hour your work is done. I love, love mushrooms and tend to add extra. The chops come out nice and tender after lightly simmering in the creamy and flavorful sauce.
Once you place the pork chops in the gravy your work is done. The pork chops just simmer and get all nice and tender all on their own. Your going to let them simmer for about an hour or so. So easy peasy!
I guarantee this will be one of the most tender pork chop you have ever tasted!! It is a family favorite in our house! And I am sure your family will love it too!
Smothered Pork Chops With Onions and Mushrooms
- 4 Pork chops, ¾ – 1 in thick
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz, sliced button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- In a small bowl combine the seasoning mix.
- Rub some of the seasoning mix on each pork chop. Save the leftover seasoning for the onion gravy. Then thoroughly coat each pork chop with the flour and set aside. Heat oil in a skillet over medium – high heat. When oil is hot enough add pork chops and brown for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Using the same pan add sliced onions to the drippings and cook for a few minutes then add mushrooms and cook a few minutes more.
- Add the remaining flour to the skillet and stir together incorporating the onions and mushrooms then slowly add 2 cups of water and stir. Add additional seasoning if you like at this point.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Return pork chops to skillet and reduce heat to low/ simmer. Cover and cook for about 1 hour.