Slow Cooker Smothered Hamburgers
Slow Cooker Smothered Hamburgers prove that burgers aren’t just for the grill. These tender ground beef patties are seared in the skillet and slow-cooked in a rich, onion gravy. They’re perfect over mashed potatoes, rice or pasta.
These slow cooker smothered hamburgers are such a great family friendly weeknight meal. Ground beef, onion soup mix and seasonings mix together to form flavorful patties that cook up in a delicious gravy made with gravy mix and cream of mushroom soup.
We love burgers in any form, and we don’t just mean on the grill or in the skillet. Sure, we love our burgers on buns, but we also love them for dinner in a rich gravy. That’s why we love these smothered hamburgers. And we think you will, too!
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a handful of simple ingredients.
- It’s a classic hamburger dinner recipe made even easier in the slow cooker.
- Everyone loves juicy burgers smothered in rich gravy!
This recipe uses simple ingredients, many of which are probably in your kitchen right now. If you don’t have something, you’ll find it easily at your local grocery store. Be sure to check out the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Lean ground beef
- Dry onion soup mix
- Worcestershire sauce
- Steak seasoning
- Bread crumbs
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Brown gravy mix
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
🔪 How to Make Slow Cooker Smothered Hamburgers
Making this recipe is the easiest thing in the world. A few minutes of searing the burgers is all that’s needed before popping them into the slow cooker and letting them go.
Step 1: Make the Burgers
Combine the ground beef, onion soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning, egg, an bread crumbs in a large bowl and mix to combine. Divide evenly into 4 patties.
Step 2: Brown the Burgers
Cook the burgers in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until browned.
Step 3: Slow Cook
Place the burgers into the bottom of the slow cooker. Then, combine the cream of mushroom soup, water, and brown gravy mix, and pour it over the burgers. Cover and cook on low for 6 hour or on high for 4 hours.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – Add red pepper flakes to the gravy mixture for a kick of heat.
- Cream Soup – Use cream on onion or cream of chicken soup instead of cream of mushroom.
- Mushrooms and Onions – For more flavor and texture add sliced onions and mushrooms.
If you think these smothered burgers look good, then check out our French onion chicken.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Slow cooker
Store these for up to 3 days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. For longer storage, freeze for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
- Get a nice sear on the burgers before slow cooking them so the juices stay inside the burgers.
- Mix the soup and packets before adding to the slow cooker so all the flavors combine well.
- Mashed potatoes or pasta are the perfect pairing for these burgers.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Searing the burgers traps the juices inside the burgers, helps them hold together, and keeps excess grease from getting into the gravy.
They’re a hamburger variation in which the burgers are cooked in a gravy and served over potatoes or pasta rather than on a bun with toppings.
Recipes like this can make plain ground beef break apart as it cooks for hours. If you don’t add egg, breadcrumbs, or some other such binding, your burgers could fall apart.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy hamburgers? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Slow Cooker Smothered Hamburgers
- large skillet
- Mixing Bowl
- slow cooker
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 10.5 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup water
- .87 ounce brown gravy mix
- Parsley for garnish optional
- In a large bowl combine the ground beef, onion soup mix, worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning, egg and bread crumbs.
- Mix well and divide into 4 patties.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat brown the patties 2-3 minutes on each side until they are browned.
- Remove from pan and place into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- In a bowl combine the cream of mushroom, water and brown gravy mix.
- Pour the gravy mix over the burgers.
- Cover and cook on low 6 hours or high 4 hours.