Tortellini Sausage Soup
Are you looking for a simple recipe that’s great on flavor? This Tortellini Sausage Soup offers a delicious taste that you can easily whip up in no time at all.
Do you love eating soup all year long? We don’t discriminate just because it’s 90 degrees out and we just fired up the grill the night before. We are ready for soup all year long. And let me tell you this rich and hearty soup that eats like a meal is a perfect soup for a chilly weeknight meal or a light cup of soup with a summer salad.
How easy is it to make this soup?
This Tortellini Sausage Soup is pretty easy to make! As usual always pull out all your ingredients and set them on your counter so your ready to cook. This will save so much time. Once you get in the habit of doing this you will never go back to the old way of doing things. I never thought I would be able to get organized by getting all our ingredients out on the counter from the pantry and fridge but after doing this a few time I was hooked. It will make all your cooing easier!
We add kale to this soup. You can use spinach instead if you like. We tend to use whatever we have on hand. They both work well and are just as delicious as the other. Sometimes we use both! Whatever we have on hand we use. It’s a great way to clean out the fridge.
Can you freeze this soup?
Honestly, we freeze soup all the time. We love having soup in the freezer for those nights when you don’t feel like cooking.
This Tortellini Sausage Soup is a great winter soup to create a hearty and delicious meal. With the cold weather approaching, you’ll find comfort in this recipe since it’s so simple to create!
OTHER SOUP RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Tortellini Sausage Soup
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/3 cup fresh basil , chopped
- 1 small bunch of Kale - cleaned and chopped in small pieces or baby spinach
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 12 cups water
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. ground oregano
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 8-12 oz. package cheese Tortellini
- 2 tbsp. butter
- In a large non-stick skillet, melt the butter, and add the sausage and cook over medium heat until golden brown (about 15 - 20 minutes). Add the onion, and saute for 5 minutes.
- Spoon sausage and onion into a large stock pot, and add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, and water. Add flour to skillet drippings, and stir to cook, about 2 minutes. Add to stock pot, stir and bring to a boil.
- Add Italian seasoning, oregano, brown sugar, garlic salt, and pepper, and turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the basil, and minced garlic, and cook 10 minutes. Add the Tortellini and cook for 20 minutes
- Add the Kale and cream, and cook for another 10 minutes, or until Kale is soft. (see note)
- Let the soup simmer for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir well, and serve in bowls with crusty bread. Enjoy!