Caramel Chocolate Cookies are a delicious chocolate chip cookie base, topped with gooey caramel, and rich chocolate ganache. You can’t go wrong with these delicious cookies. Kind of like a Twix in a cookie form!
If you love chocolate and caramel together, then these cookies are the perfect treat for you. The chocolate chip cookie base is classic and delicious, while the gooey caramel topping provides a sweet contrast that makes these cookies irresistible.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Homemade cookies are always a hit with the whole family.
- A delicious twist on a classic chocolate chip cookie, these cookies are sure to become a new favorite.
- The combination of chocolate chip cookie base, gooey caramel topping and rich chocolate ganache will make your taste buds sing!
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this delicious sweet treat. And, most of these ingredients are basic pantry staples that you likely already have! Here’s what you’ll need:
- baking soda
- brown sugar
- white sugar
- chocolate chips
- soft caramels
- chocolate chips
- coconut oil
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make Caramel Chocolate Cookies
Here’s a quick rundown of the instructions to make these cookies. You can find the full step-by-step directions in the recipe card at the bottom of the post, so don’t forget to scroll down and check it out.
Step 1: Combine the wet ingredients
Cream together butter and sugar in a medium bowl. Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
Step 2: Add in the dry ingredients
Add flour and baking soda and combine until a soft dough forms. Fold in chocolate chips.
Step 3: Bake the cookies
Drop 8-10 large scoops of dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Cool the cookies for about 5 minutes before finishing.
Step 4: Make the caramel layer
Unwrap the caramels, combine with cream in a microwave safe bowl. Heat at 15 second intervals, stirring until the caramel is melted. Place 1 Tbsp of caramel onto each cookie, swirling into a circle.
Step 5: Melt the chocolate
Place the chocolate chips and oil in a microwave safe bowl and heat at 15 second intervals until melted. Place 1 Tbsp of chocolate onto the caramel, swirling into a circle.
Step 6: Cool the cookies
Allow the cookies to cool completely, and the chocolate to harden before storing and serving.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
Nuts – Add chopped nuts to the cookie dough for a crunchy texture. Or you could top them with a sprinkle of nuts before the chocolate hardens.
Chocolate Chips – Use different types of chocolate chips. Such as dark chocolate or milk chocolate depending on your taste preferences.
If you love caramel cookie recipes, then next time you may want to give these Caramel Pecan Thumbprint Cookies a try.
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this tasty treat. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy this delicious cookie recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Baking sheets or Cookie sheets
- Electric mixer – Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Cookie scoop – optional
These cookies are best enjoyed fresh, but they will last for up to 5 days if stored properly in an airtight container. If you are stacking these cookies in an container, make sure to use a layer or parchment or wax paper between the layers.
Here are a few tips to help you make the best caramel chocolate chip cookies:
- Use softened butter for an easier mixing process.
- Make sure your caramel is completely melted before topping the cookies, otherwise it will not stick.
- Allow the chocolate to cool and harden before transferring or stacking them in a container.
- For evenly sized cookies, use a cookie scoop.
Do you have questions about this chocolate caramel cookies recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Yes, you can make the cookies ahead of time and store it in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Yes, you can freeze the cookie dough and store it in a freezer safe bag or container for up to 3 months. You can also freeze the cookies, after they have been baked and decorated for three months.
No, this cookie dough does not need to be stored in the refrigerator.
🍽 More Cookie Recipes
Do you enjoy cookies, try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Chocolate Caramel Cookies
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- mixing bowls
- Baking sheets or Cookie Sheets
- electric mixer – hand mixer or stand mixer
- Cookie Scoop – Optional
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 12 soft caramels
- 1 tablespoon cream
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil optional
- Cream together butter and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Add flour and baking soda and combine until a soft dough forms.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop 8-10 large scoops of dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.
- Unwrap the caramels, combine with cream in a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat at 15 second intervals, stirring until the caramel is melted.
- Place 1 Tbsp of caramel onto each cookie, swirling into a circle.
- Place the chocolate chips and oil in a microwave safe bowl and heat at 15 second intervals until melted.
- Place 1 Tbsp of chocolate onto the caramel, swirling into a circle.