Cosmic Brownie Cookies combine the flavors of everyone’s favorite childhood brownie treat with the sensibilities of cookies. These cookies are rich and fudgy and topped with a chocolate ganache and Cosmic Brownie sprinkles.
We love Cosmic Brownies. While we enjoyed them more often as children, we DO have a box of them in our pantry right now. Of course, as cooks and bakers, we love making homemade versions of our favorite treats. We made a homemade version with a twist and came up with these Cosmic Brownie cookies!
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a homemade recipe that’s ready in just a few minutes.
- It’s an easy recipe that only uses simple baking ingredients.
- It’s full of the classic flavors of Cosmic Brownies.
You’ll only need a few basic baking ingredients to make these cookies. You probably have most of them in your pantry right now. Anything you don’t have can be easily found at your local grocery tore.
Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
For the Brownies
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Butter – melted
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar – packed
- Vanilla extract
For the Topping
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heavy cream
- Cosmic Brownie sprinkles or colorful Jimmies
🔪 How to Make Cosmic Brownie Cookies
Making these cookies is a very basic affair. They’re just like any other cookie recipe, so it only takes a few minutes of measuring, mixing, and baking. Even the ganache is made in the microwave!
Step 1: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk the flour, dark cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
Step 2: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Beat the melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer in a large mixing bowl. Then, add the eggs and beat on low speed until combined.
Step 3: Make the Cookie Dough
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.
Step 4: Roll and Chill
Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place them 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Chill for 30 minutes.
Step 5: Bake
Bake the chilled cookies at 350 for 9 to 10 minutes until set around the edges.
Step 6: Cool
After baking, cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes. Then, transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.
Step 7: Make the Ganache
Combine the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwaveable bowl and heat on high for 30 seconds. Then, stir and heat for another 20 to 30 seconds until melted. Stir until fully combined and smooth.
Step 8: Top the Cookies
Spoon the ganache on the center of each cookie and spread it out toward the edges. Sprinkle with the sprinkles and enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Extra Chocolaty – Add a dash of instant coffee for an even deeper flavor.
- Double Chocolate – Mix chocolate chips into the chocolate cookie dough.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – You can use milk or dark chocolate chips if you prefer.
If you love cookies like this, then check out our chocolate caramel cookies.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper
Store these cookies at room temperature for up to 3 days in an air-tight container. For longer storage, freeze these cookies in an air-tight container or heavy-duty freezer bag for up to a month.
- It’s important to chill the dough for at least 30 minutes so they don’t spread too much.
- Don’t refrigerate these cookies, or they’ll dry out. If you won’t eat them all, it’s better to freeze them.
- Melt the ganache at 30-second intervals to avoid scorching.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Cosmic brownie cookies are fudgy chocolate cookies topped with chocolate ganache and sprinkles.
They absolutely do! They have the rich, moist, fudgy flavor that the famous brownies are known for.
Chilling cookie dough solidifies the butter in the dough, causing the cookies to spread more slowly. This is particularly important for cookies that have thin batter.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy Cosmic Brownies? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Cosmic Brownie Cookies
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Baking sheets
- parchment paper
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Cosmic brownie sprinkles or colorful jimmies
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, dark cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the eggs and beat on low speed, just until incorporated.
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet and mix on low speed until combined.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place on the baking sheets, leaving 2 inches of space between each doughball.
- Place the cookie sheets of doughballs in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 350F.
- Once the doughballs are finished chilling, bake at 350F for 9-10 minutes until set around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to wire cooling racks.
- Pour the semi-sweet chocolate chips and heavy cream into a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 30 seconds. Stir well, then heat for another 20-30 seconds until the chocolate is melted. Continue to stir until fully combined and smooth.
- Spoon the chocolate frosting onto the center of each cookie and spread out towards the edges.
- Sprinkle each cookie with Cosmic Brownie sprinkled.