Crockpot Beef and Potato Au Gratin
Crockpot Beef and Potato Au Gratin is an easy, cheesy beef and potato dish that only takes a few minutes of prep and a few hours in the crockpot. It’s a hearty meal that everyone will love.
Is there anything better than beef, potatoes, and cheese? Ehh, not really if you ask us. That’s why we love this recipe. It’s so loaded with flavor and so easy to make that it’s perfect for family dinners or potlucks.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It only takes a few simple ingredients to make.
- It takes just a few minutes of initial cooking, then the crockpot does all the work.
- It’s loaded with ground beef, potatoes, mushrooms, onions, and cheese.
- It’s super hearty and can feed a family for a couple of days.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this easy recipe. The stars of the show are below, but you’ll find the complete list of ingredients along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Ground beef
- Russet potatoes
- Garlic powder
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Beef stock
- Condensed cheddar cheese soup
🔪 How to Make Crockpot Beef and Potato Au Gratin
Making this recipe is a breeze, which is great because it can feed an army. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps!
Step 1: Cook the Beef
Brown the beef in a skillet over medium-high heat until completely cooked.
Step 2: Layer the Dish
Add half of the potato slices to the bottom of the crockpot. Then, pour in half the cheddar soup. Next, add half of the onions, mushrooms, seasonings, meat, and cheese. Repeat the layers, then drizzle the top with beef stock.
Step 3: Cook
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until the potatoes are tender. Serve hot and enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – For a kick of extra flavor and heat, try adding sliced jalapenos to the mix and a little cayenne to the spices.
- Ground Beef – You can use ground turkey in place of ground beef. You can even use chorizo for some Tex-Mex flair.
- Russet Potatoes – Yukon Gold or even red potatoes will work well in this recipe.
If you love easy ground beef recipes like this one, then check out this simple savory beef and mushrooms recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
You can store this in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
- Drain your beef before adding it to the crockpot so you don’t end up with a greasy dish.
- Slice your mushrooms a bit thicker than your onions so everything cooks up nicely.
- Peeling the potatoes is just for presentation. You don’t have to peel them if you don’t want to.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
It’s a dish made with sliced potatoes, cream, butter, and cheese. This version uses cheddar soup to make the creamy base.
You could. It wouldn’t be dangerous, but you’d end up with a super greasy dish that would probably make you sick to your stomach.
The easiest way is to pop it in the microwave covered and heat it at 1-minute intervals until heated through.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy crockpot recipes? Then check out these winners.
- Crockpot Kielbasa with Homeamde Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Slow Cooker Riganoit Chickan Alfredo.
- Crockpot Pumpkin Honeybun Cake
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Crockpot Beef and Potato Au Gratin
- mixing bowls
- slow cooker
- large skillet
- mandolin or sharp knife
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 pounds russet potatoes peeled and sliced 1/4″ thick
- 1 small white onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 teapsoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 10.5 condensed cheddar cheese soup
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices.
- Add half of the potato slices to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour in half of the cheddar soup and mix.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with half of the onion slices, half of the mushroom slices, half of the seasonings, half of the meat, and half of the cheese.
- Repeat layers again.
- Drizzle the top evenly with the beef stock. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Serve hot.