This French Onion Chicken Bake combines tender, juicy chicken breasts with garlic, onions, spices, and three kinds of ooey gooey cheese!
French onion is one of our favorite flavors. We have a lot of French onion recipes on the site, in fact. We also love easy recipes that we can throw together quickly for dinner. This delicious chicken bake satisfies both of those criteria!
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a few simple ingredients.
- It’s an easy recipe that’s ready in under an hour.
- It’s a flavorful chicken dish that everyone always loves.
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe, and most of them are probably in your kitchen right now. Anything you don’t have is easily found at your local grocery store!
The main ingredients are listed here, but you’ll find the complete list of ingredients along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Sliced onions
- Minced garlic
- Beef broth
- Red cooking wine
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Shredded gruyere cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese
🔪 How to Make French Onion Chicken Bake
Making this recipe is very easy. Even beginners can do it. The only hard thing about it is having to share it!
Step 1: Cook the Onions
Cook the onions in butter over medium-high heat until softened in a pot or saucepan.
Step 2: Simmer Onions and Seasonings
Reduce the heat to medium and add the oregano, rosemary, minced garlic, broth, and cooking wine. Simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed.
Step 3: Cook the Chicken
Add 1/3 of the onions to the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Then,s season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place them on top of the onions. Finally, spread the rest of the onions over the chicken and top with the gruyere, mozzarella, and parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 and enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – Try adding a touch of cayenne or red pepper flakes to the herb mixture for extra heat.
- Chicken Breasts – You can use thighs in place of breasts. Pork chops also work well.
- Beef Broth – The beef broth is what gives this dish the French onion vibe, but you can use chicken or vegetable broth if you like.
If you think this recipe looks good, then check out our French onion pork chops.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Baking dish
Store this chicken for up to 3 days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can freeze the chicken for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
- Stir the onions often when sauteing them so you don’t burn them.
- It’s important to give the liquid all the time it needs to absorb into the herbs and onions.
- Do not overcook the chicken! It will get grainy and tough.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
No one knows definitively, but the most popular story is that King Louis XV invented the dish in his hunting lodge. He was hungry late at night, and he only had onions, butter, and champagne in the pantry. From those ingredients, he made French onion soup.
French onion soup and its variations are so popular because the flavors work so well together. The sweetness of the onions pairs very well with the savory broth and cheese found in most of these recipes.
If you cook your chicken for too long, it will get dry and have a grainy texture.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy French onion? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
French Onion Chicken Bake
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 4 Onions sliced
- 3 teaspoons Minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅔ cup Beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Red cooking wine
- 4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup Shredded gruyere cheese
- ½ cup Shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Melt the butter in a pot or saucepan over medium high heat.
- Stir in the onions, and saute until softened.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- Mix in the oregano, rosemary, minced garlic, broth and cooking wine, and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread ⅓ of the onions into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken to the top of the onions.
- Spread the rest of the onions over the chicken.
- Top the chicken with the gruyere, mozzarella and then parmesan cheese, and bake for 30 minutes.