Marinated Tomatoes Recipe
Are you looking for a side dish that just screams warm weather and sunshine? If so, this Marinated Tomatoes Recipe is going to be right up your alley.
Packed with fresh veggie and a perfectly balanced flavor, this is going to be your go-to summer craving. This Marinated Tomatoes Recipe is just like a vegetable relish. Being able to make your own relish is a game-changer. While it’s fine to buy the ones at the store that are packaged up and sitting on the shelf, why would you want to when you can easily make your own?
What we love most about this simple relish recipe is that it’s such a simple process to do. Growing up my family always maid Giardiniera which is an array of vegetables that are pickled in oil and vinegar.
Easy Marinated Tomatoes Recipe
And if you’re lucky enough to have a garden that thrives and grows, you can easily pick out the tomatoes from your garden to add in as well. There’s nothing quite like fresh cherry tomatoes, right from the garden. They offer a taste that is out of this world!
There is nothing like heirloom cherry tomatoes straight from the vine. Whenever they have them at the farmers market my eye goes right to them. These can be made all year long but they are especially sweet in the summer months!
Marinated Tomatoes Recipe!
- Cherry tomatoes- Use red cherry tomatoes or a mix or red, yellow, orange cherry tomatoes
- Red onion- The red onion is flavorful and pretty with the red tomatoes.
- Basil- You want to use fresh basil only in this recipe. Dried basil will not give you that fresh flavor you need for this recipe.
- Balsamic Vinegar- The balsamic vinegar adds a little bit of a fruity taste. It’s perfect for this recipe.
- Red Wine Vinegar- It will balance the balsamic vinegar.
- Olive oil- We use extra virgin olive oil.
- Garlic- Minced fine. You can use a microplane or use pre-minced.
- Fresh Lemon juice- Fresh squeezed lemon juice gives a little bit brightness.
- Brown sugar- Brown sugar adds the right amount of sweetness but the molasses in the sugar adds another layer of flavor.
- Garlic salt- Garlic salt adds a bit of salt and a little more garlic flavor.
- Pepper- We love pepper and add it to almost everything.
- Ground Oregano- add a nice little flavor that balances everything out.
- Salt and pepper to taste- I would add this after tomatoes have marinated a bit. Add more pepper to taste and salt if needed after the garlic salt is added.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE MARINATED TOMATOES RECIPE:
First you will wash, dry and cut the tomatoes in half. Then place them in a large bowl. Peel the red onion, slice it very thinly.
Add the basil, minced garlic and toss it all together. Blend the vinegar’s, extra virgin olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, brown sugar, and oregano together and then pour it over the tomato relish.
Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper and toss it together well. Being careful not to break tomatoes. Place the tomato relish in small individual dishes or add it to a large bowl to serve family style.
Can this tomato relish be used as a topping for foods as well?
Sure! However you want to eat this relish recipe is totally up to you. We’ve used it as a side dish to eat alone and we’ve put it on top of our salads for an extra kick as well. You can even use it as a fun tasty hot dog topping to add in some more flavor! Add it on top of any grilled meat for a delicious flavor!
How do you store this relish recipe?
Storing it in a small mason jar or glass container is going to be the easiest way to store this simple relish recipe. We like to store it in individual jars so that we can each grab our own and keep them separate. (because sometimes, food is too good to have to share!)
No matter how you decide to enjoy this simple relish recipe, just enjoy it! It’s such a fresh flavor that will have you craving more veggies in your daily diet. Every bite offers a delicious flavor and taste!
OTHER RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
Marinated Tomatoes Recipe
- 2 pounds Cherry tomatoes red , orange or yellow if you like
- 1 medium red onion – sliced Chiffonade style
- 1/2 cup basil – chopped
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- garlic salt – to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Oregano
- Wash the Cherry tomatoes, and drain them on paper towels.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, and place them in a large bowl.
- Peel the red onion, and slice chiffonade style, and add to tomatoes.
- Wash and chop the fresh Basil. Add the minced garlic, and toss all together.
- Blend the Balsamic Vinegar, red wine vinegar, Olive oil, lemon juice, brown sugar, and Oregano, and pour over tomato relish.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt, and salt and pepper, and toss well to mix.
- Place the tomato relish in small individual glass containers, and serve at each place setting.
- Can also be served in small dishes, or family style. Enjoy!