This Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll recipe is simple and so delicious. If you’ve never been a lover of cabbage, these slow cooker cabbage rolls just may make you one.
My friend gave me this recipe awhile ago and I have been making it ever since. She said she got it from her Aunt who is Polish. I have tried a lot of stuffed cabbage recipes in my day. Most of them are really very good. This recipe really stood out. It was full of flavor and they all blended well together.
We all came to the conclusion that this is probably one of our favorite stuffed cabbage recipe and has become our go to recipe. And it is very easy to make.
I changed up a few of the ingredients by adding garlic because I love garlic and adding crushed red pepper. As soon as we made this the first time my husband said ” Put this on the list” It’s a keeper!!.” It’s been on the list ever since.
Make this delicious Slow cooker Cabbage Roll recipe. You will love it!
- 2 lbs. ground beef 80% lean
- ½ lb. ground pork
- 1½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper (or more to taste)
- 1¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ of 1 large onion, chopped fine- reserve the other half for lining the slow cooker
- 1 cup uncooked instant white rice
- 1 or 2 heads of green cabbage
- For the sauce:
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1½ tsp. sea salt
- 4 Tbsp. brown sugar
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Carefully place the cabbage in the water and gently turn with a mesh strainer or wooden spoon.
- Every few minutes, with the strainer or spoon, loosen a few leaves and carefully remove.
- Set aside to cool.
- Do this until the cabbage leaves are softened and removed.
- While the cabbage is being cooked you can mix together the filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef, pork, garlic powder,pepper, crushed red pepper,salt, sugar, ½ of the onion and rice.
- Mix until combined well.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce.
- Slice remaining cabbage and onion and layer the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Cover with ⅓ of the tomato sauce.
- When the cabbage is cool enough to touch, with a knife, turn the cabbage over and remove the stem being careful not to pierce through the cabbage leaf.
- Fill the cabbage with about ½ cup of filling and roll gently, not too firmly, while tucking in the sides.
- Line them across the sauce in the slow cooker.
- Cover with another ⅓ of the sauce.
- Place your final layer of cabbage rolls in the slow cooker and cover with remaining sauce.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on Low for 8 to 9 hours or on High for 5 hours.
- When the it is done cooking, remove the lid and let cool for 15 minutes or so.