Slow Cooker Frito Pie is a classic Tex-Mex casserole dish made even easier by using the slow cooker. This simple recipe is loaded with all the beefy, cheesy, chili-infused flavors we love about this family favorite.
If you love beefy, cheesy, hearty meals or party foods, then you’re going to really enjoy our slow cooker Frito pie. It’s full of flavor, it can feed an army, and it always goes fast!
This Slow Cooker Frito Pie is always a family favorite! Rich, delicious but easy chili slow cooks to perfection before getting topped with crunchy corn chips, cheese and all your favorite toppings! Serve on top of more corn chips for a spectacular dinner even your pickiest eater will love!
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s beefy, cheesy, and loaded with Fritos.
- It’s an easy slow cooker recipe that takes very little effort.
- It’s perfect for weeknight meals, parties, or potlucks.
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this recipe, and you’ll find them all at your local grocery store in just a few minutes. Everything you need is here, but be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Lean ground beef
- Onion – diced
- Green bell pepper – diced
- Red bell peppers – diced
- Chili seasoning
- Garlic – minced
- Diced green chiles
- Chili beans – undrained
- Black beans – rinsed and drained
- Tomato sauce
- Shredded cheddar cheese – divided
- Corn chips
🔪 How to Make Slow Cooker Frito Pie
Making this recipe is as simple as the ingredient list. It just takes a little stovetop cooking, and after that, the slow cooker does all the work. Anyone can make it easily!
Step 1: Cook the Ground Beef
Brown the ground beef in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Drain.
Step 2: Slow Cook
Add the ground beef, onion, bell peppers, chili seasoning, garlic, green chiles, chili beans, black beans, tomato sauce, cornstarch, and sugar to the slow cooker. Stir and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
Step 3: Add the Cheese and Corn Chips
5 minutes before serving, stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese and top with half the corn chips. Cover and let the cheese melt. Serve with your favorite toppings and the remaining corn chips.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – Add diced jalapenos for a kick of heat and flavor.
- Ground Beef – You can use ground turkey, pork, or even chorizo in this recipe.
- Cheddar Cheese – Mexican blend and taco blend shredded cheeses work well in this recipe.
If you think this slow cooker Frito pie looks good, then we think you’ll love our easy Frito taco pie.
- Measuring cup
- Can opener
- Slow cooker
- Large spoon
Refrigerate this taco pie for up to 4 days in an air-tight container. For longer storage, freeze the pie without the Fritos for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
- Top your Frito pie with classics like sour cream, scallions, taco sauce, and the like.
- Always drain your ground beef. Even lean beef will render some fat.
- Remember not to drain your chili beans. You get so much great flavor from the juice!
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Frito pie is a Tex-Mex dish popular in the Midwest, Southeast, and Southwest USA.
Frito pie’s base ingredients are chili, cheese, and corn chips. Other ingredients such as beans, onions, and jalapenos may be added depending on the region.
If you didn’t fully cook your ground beef or didn’t drain it, then your Frito pie will end up being greasy.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy slow cooker recipes? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Slow Cooker Frito Pie
- 6 quart or larger slow cooker
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 ounce chili seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 15 ounces chili beans undrained
- 15 ounces black beans rinsed and drained
- 29 ounces tomato sauce
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 9.25 ounces corn chips
- Toppings like scallions sour cream, etc
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, brown and drain your ground beef.
- To your slow cooker add the ground beef, onion, bell peppers, chili seasoning, garlic, green chilies, chili beans, black beans, tomato sauce, cornstarch and sugar.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- 5 minutes before serving stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Top with half the bag of corn chips.
- Top the chips with the remaining corn chips.
- Cover just until the cheese melts.
- Top with your favorite toppings, serve!