Slow Cooker Gyros are a delicious twist on the traditional Greek classic. This slow cooker dish is easy to prepare, and it’s full of flavor thanks to the combination of garlic, oregano, and other spices that season the meat and take this simple dish to the next level.
Warm weather is right around the corner and if you are like us, we prefer to use the slow cooker during the warm weather so that we don’t have to heat up the house by turning on the oven. Plus, you don’t have to worry about spending a lot of time in the kitchen since the Crock Pot does all the work for you.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These homemade gyros are easy to make and full of flavor!
- The combination of spices give the meat a delicious Mediterranean flavor.
- The slow cooker makes this dish low-maintenance so you can enjoy it without spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
To make this easy and simple recipe, you will need a few simple ingredients and a delicious beef roast. So, make a quick trip to the grocery store and you will have a delicious meal for your without a lot of effort at all.
- beef chuck roast
- dried oregano
- plain greek yogurt
- grated cucumber
- lemon juice
- garlic clove
- fresh dill
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make Slow Cooker Gyros
Making this slow cooker beef gyro recipe, is super simple. Just follow the step-by-step instructions below or in the recipe card and you will have a family-friendly meal in no time at all.
Step 1: Add the ingredients to the slow cooker
Add the roast to the bottom of the slow cooker. On top place the onions, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, lemon juice and water.
Step 2: Cook the beef
Cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH 4-6 hours until tender and easily shreds with a fork.
Step 3: Make the tzatziki sauce
In a small mixing bowl combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, salt and dill.
Step 4: Assemble your gyros
To make the gyros spread the tzatziki sauce on a pita bread, add the meat and you can serve with red onion, lettuce, tomato and cucumber.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Use lamb roast instead of beef for a different twist.
- Add crumbled feta cheese for an extra delicious flavor.
- Try playing around with different spices such as cumin, coriander, or chili powder.
If you are a fan of slow cooker beef recipes like this one then you may also enjoy this Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Mushrooms recipe.
You will need just a few basic kitchen tools to help you make this slow cooker recipe. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy this simple meal.
- slow cooker
- small bowl
Leftovers – Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezing – You can freeze this beef gyro recipe by allowing it to cool completely and then storing in an airtight container or bag, making sure to remove as much air as possible. The frozen meal will last for 2-3 months. Just a note however is that the sauce does not freeze well.
Here are a few tips to ensure that your gyros turn out perfectly for you when you make them.
- Instead of chuck roast, you could use your favorite beef roast. Just a note though, it may turn out a little drier if you use a lower fat meat.
- When making the tzatziki sauce, be sure to strain out as much liquid from the cucumber as possible. So, that your sauce isn’t too runny.
- If you want some easy clean up spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or use a slow cooker liner.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
I’ve found that roasts are most flavorful and tender when they are cooked on low in the slow cooker.
If you decide to use lamb instead of beef, I recommend using lamb shoulder instead.
The best way to reheat gyro meat is to place it in a skillet over medium heat. Cook for a few minutes until the meat is heated through. You can also reheat in the microwave if you are in a hurry.
Yes, you can make the tzatziki sauce ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
🍽 More Slow Cooker Recipes
Do you enjoy slow cooker recipes, try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Slow Cooker Gyros
- slow cooker
- small bowl
- 3-4 pound beef chuck roast
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- One lemon juiced
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup grated cucumber
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- In your slow cooker place the roast.
- On top place the onions, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, lemon juice and water.
- Cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH 4-6 hours until tender and easily shreds with a fork.
- Prepare the tzatziki sauce.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, salt and dill.
- To make the gyros spread the tzatziki sauce on a pita bread, add the meat and you can serve with red onion,