This Slow Cooker Roast Beef Po Boy features fluffy white buns topped with lettuce, tomato, and a huge amount of shredded, slow-cooked beef with rich brown gravy.
If you love hearty beef sandwiches, then this is the recipe for you. We’ve been making it for years because it’s so easy to create ultra-tender beef and gravy to pile high on soft buns. The slow cooker strikes again!
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It uses simple ingredients that you can find at your local grocery store.
- It’s an easy slow cooker recipe that requires almost no effort.
- The super tender beef and rich brown gravy are so good together.
- All that gravy and beef is perfect over the soft white rolls.
This recipe only takes a few simple ingredients to make. You’ll find everything you need in one quick trip to the grocery store!
All the ingredients are listed here, but you can find the exact amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Chuck roast
- Brown gravy mix
- Au jus mix
- Onion powder
- Celery seed
- Black pepper
- Beef broth
- Soft sub rolls
🔪 How to Make Slow Cooker Roast Beef Po Boy
Making these rich, delicious po boys couldn’t be easier. The slow cooker does the bulk of the work, and after that, you just construct the sandwiches!
Step 1: Make the Gravy Mix
Combine the brown gravy mix, au jus mix, onion powder, celery seed, black pepper, and beef broth in a mixing bowl.
Step 2: Cook the Chuck Roast
Add the chuck roast to the slow cooker, then pour the gravy mixture over it. Top it all with butter and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours until the beef falls apart.
Step 3: Shred the Beef
Remove the chuck roast from the slow cooker and remove all but 1 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker. Reserve it for dipping if you like. Shred the beef and toss it with the 1 cup of liquid.
Step 4: Make the Po Boys
Spread mayo on the buns, then top with lettuce, tomato, and roast beef. Enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – Try adding red pepper flakes or diced jalapenos to the slow cooker.
- Mushrooms and Cheese – Top the rolls with roast beef, mushrooms, and cheese.
- Mississippi Pot Roast Po Boys – Add banana peppers to the slow cooker.
If you think these po boys look good, then check out our slow cooker cowboy sandwiches.
- Mixing bowl
- Slow cooker
Refrigerate the beef for up to 4 days in an air-tight container. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag.
What to Serve with Beef Po Boys
These delicious slow cooker roast beef po boys are perfect with all your favorite sandwich sides including:
- French fries
- Sweet potato fries
- Tater tots
- Potato wedges
- Fried pickles
- Mac and cheese
- Baked beans
- Potato salad
- Potato chips
- Mix your gravy mixture before pouring it over the beef.
- It’s important to toss your shredded beef with just enough liquid to keep it moist. Don’t drown your sandwiches!
- The easiest way to shred the beef is with two forks while it’s still nice and hot.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Po boys are a kind of sub originally from Louisiana made with roast beef, chicken fingers, or fried seafood on French bread.
Technically, you can, but it would be hard to do. Cook your beef until it’s falling apart if you want to shred it. But if you cook it too long, it will turn to mush.
Chuck roast is the king of pulled beef cuts. When cooked low and slow, all that fatty marbling melts and creates super tender and juicy beef.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy tender, hearty beef recipes? Then try these delicious recipes:
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Slow Cooker Beef Po Boy Sandwiches
- small bowl or mixing cup
- slow cooker
- 2 pound chuck roast
- 1 ounce brown gravy mix one packet
- 1 ounce au jus mix one packet
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Soft sub rolls
- In your slow cooker add the chuck roast.
- To a mixing bowl or cup add the brown gravy mix, au jus mix, onion powder, celery seed, black pepper and beef broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour this mixture over the beef roast.
- Top with the butter.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours until the beef falls apart.
- Remove the beef from the slow cooker and shred.
- Remove all the liquid from the slow cooker except for about 1 cup.
- You can reserve the rest of the liquid for dipping if you like.
- Toss the shredded beef with the 1 cup liquid in the slow cooker.
- Pile onto soft buns with mayo, lettuce and tomato.