These Easy Salisbury Steaks are tender, juicy, and absolutely smothered in rich gravy. It’s classic comfort food that will have everyone coming back for seconds.
We love beef. From roasts to steaks and everything in between, we’re definitely fans. One of our favorite recipes to make is this Salisbury steak number. It’s an easy dish that’s full of flavor which makes it perfect for busy days.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s loaded with classic Salisbury steak flavor with its juicy patties and rich brown gravy.
- It only takes a few simple ingredients to make.
- It’s super easy to make.
- It’s classic comfort food that satisfies even picky eaters.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Both the steaks and the gravy only use a few simple ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store. The highlights are below, but you can find the complete list of ingredients along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
For the Steaks
- Ground beef
- Bread crumbs
- Dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
For the Gravy
- Thinly sliced onion
- Brown gravy mix
- Worcestershire sauce
🔪 How to Make Easy Salisbury Steaks
Making this delicious recipe is just as easy as gathering up the ingredients. It only takes a few simple steps, and you’ll be all done.
Step 1: Make the Patties
Combine the patty ingredients in a large mixing bowl using a spoon or your hands until well incorporated. Divide the mixture into 6 patties.
Step 2: Cook the Patties
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Then, brown the patties on each side until cooked all the way through. Lower the heat to low.
Step 3: Combine the Gravy Ingredients
Add the gravy ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk until evenly combined.
Step 4: Finish the Salisbury Steaks
Pour the gravy mixture into the skillet with the patties and simmer until it’s hot and thickened. Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans and enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – Add red pepper flakes to the patties or gravy for a spicy version.
- No Onions – If you don’t like onions, simply omit them. These steaks are still delicious.
If you think these Salisbury steaks look good, then you’ll love these smothered pork chops with onions and mushrooms.
With a recipe this easy, it should come as no surprise that you don’t need much to make it.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
Store these steaks in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 4 days. For longer storage, freeze them for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
There isn’t much to this recipe, so there really isn’t much to the tips for it. We only have a couple, actually.
- Be sure your steak ingredients are well combined, so you get all that great flavor in every bite.
- Don’t crowd the skillet. You want the steaks to have plenty of room for the heat to cook them evenly.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
It’s a version of Hamburg steak made with a blend of ground beef and seasonings and topped with signature brown onion gravy.
Salisbury steak is made with more fillers like breadcrumbs, while hamburger steak is made with simply hamburger, salt, and pepper.
It was invented in 1888 by James Salisbury and was intended to combat illness among Civil War troops.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy beef? Then try these delicious recipes:
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Easy Salisbury Steaks
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- mixing bowls
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1.5 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Parsley for garnish
For the Gravy
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced (optional)
- 3 packets brown gravy mix
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 tsp ketchup
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- In a large skillet or cast iron pan, heat 1 Tb olive oil over medium heat.
- Combine the patty ingredients in a large mixing bowl with a spoon or hands until well incorporated.
- Divide the meat into 6 pieces and flatten to create a patty.
- Brown the patties on each side and ensure meat is cooked all the way through. Lower the heat to low.
- In a medium bowl, add the ingredients for the gravy and whisk until evenly combined.
- Pour the gravy mixture into the skillet with the patties and simmer until it thickens and is fully heated.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans. Enjoy!