French Onion Chicken
If you love the taste of French Onion Soup, you’re going to go crazy over this French Onion Chicken. It’s finger-licking good and soon to be a family favorite meal.
When’s the last time you found a meal that was unique enough to surprise your taste buds and treat everyone in your family? If you’re having to stop and think about it, it’s been way too long. This French Onion Chicken is about to rock your flavor world.
Not only is French Onion Chicken super simple to make, but it tastes like a million bucks as well. We like it so much in our house that we’ve made it part of our monthly meal-planning rotation.
Can you substitute chicken broth instead of using beef broth?
Of course. This is all up to you in what you want to add. The liquid will add a bit of flavor, but it’s also a big component of keeping the chicken from drying out as well.
If you prefer beef broth, use beef broth. It’s as simple as that. We prefer beef broth so that’s what we use.
How to start making the onions and chicken breasts:
What would be a good side dish to serve with this homemade chicken dinner?
Anything that you would like! All types of vegetables go great with chicken, as do any type of potato dishes, too. And if you’re wanting to keep it nice and light, having a nice side salad with this meal is always a winning option.
Is there a way to add a bit of spice to this dish?
Of course. There’s always a way to add some heat! Sprinkle in some cayenne pepper or throw in some fresh jalapenos at the end. If hot is what you want, hot is what you can get.
Have fun making this delicious French Onion Chicken recipe. Not only will it be a true treat for your taste buds but it will also become one of your go-to dishes as well. (and in case you’re wondering, the leftovers are just as delicious!)
OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
If you love the taste of French Onion Soup, you're going to go crazy over this French Onion Chicken. It's finger-licking good and soon to be a family favorite meal.
large white onions, sliced
(1/2 stick) salted butter
can beef broth
chicken breasts, pounded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
ground black pepper
slices deli-style provolone cheese (depending on how many chicken breasts)
slices deli-style swiss cheese (depending on how many chicken breasts)
parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Melt butter in an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and stir while cooking, for about 15 minutes until softened
3. Remove from skillet and set aside.
4. Season chicken breasts with olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh thyme. Cook chicken in skillet for about 5 minutes on each side. Move chicken to a plate and cover with a paper towel.
5. Return onions to skillet and sprinkle with flour. Stir and cook for about 1 minute before pouring in beef broth. Whisk until thickened
6. Add chicken back to skillet and spoon sauce over the chicken.
7. Top with one slice of provolone and one slice of swiss for each breast
8. Move to oven and bake until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and spoon more of the sauce over the chicken. Top with parsley and serve hot.