These Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Thighs are the perfect weeknight dinner option. They are easy to prep, full of flavor, and require minimal effort – making them a great dish for busy families.
In this recipe the tangy citrus notes of lemon pair perfectly with the tender chicken thighs, creating a mouth-watering combination that will have your taste buds singing. Plus, this recipe is versatile enough to be enjoyed year-round.
Table of contents
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- 🔪 How to Make Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Thighs
- 🥄 Equipment
- 🥫 Storage
- Serve With
- 💭 Tips
- ⁉️ FAQ
- 🍽 More Slow Cooker Recipes
- 🧾Recipe Card
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Chicken thighs are a budget-friendly cut of meat so you don’t have to worry about spending a lot of money at the grocery store.
- The slow cooker does all the work so you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time with your family.
- The chicken thighs come out of the cooking process full of flavor and fork-tender the whole family will love it.
You only need a few simple ingredients to help you make this slow cooker chicken recipe. Gather these ingredients on your next trip to the grocery store so you can make this hearty meal for your family today.
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt and black pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- red pepper flakes
- Italian seasoning
- minced garlic
- lemon zest
- fresh lemon juice
- chicken broth
- Fresh parsley and lemon slices for garnish (optional)
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Thighs
Making this slow cooker chicken thighs recipe is so simple. Just follow these step-by-step directions and you will have a tasty meal without much effort at all.
Step 1: Add the chicken, broth, and lemon to the slow cooker
Place the chicken thighs into a 8 quart slow cooker. In a small bowl combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, and lemon zest and stir. Pour all over the chicken thighs.
Step 2: Add the remaining ingredients
In another small bowl combine all the dry ingredients, the Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and mix, sprinkle over top of the chicken thighs. Sprinkle the minced garlic all over the top and place the slices of butter all over.
Step 3: Cook, garnish and serve
4. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Once done add chopped parsley on top and top with sliced lemons. (optional) enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – You can add a touch of heat by adding a dash of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
- Citrus – Not a fan of lemon? Switch up the citrus and use lime or even orange instead.
- Vegetables – Add your favorite vegetables. Potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, green beans or even peppers would work great in this simple dish.
If you are looking for another easy slow cooker recipe to try, check out this slow cooker chili mac recipe. Not only is it family friendly but it’s great for busy weeknights.
Here is a list of the equipment that you will need to make this easy recipe:
- slow cooker
- small bowl
- lemon zester or grater
Store leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days. To keep it fresh make sure to keep them in an airtight container or plastic bag.
This delicious and tender chicken can be paired with just about any side dish however some of our favorites to eat with it are Loaded Cornbread Casserole or these Marinated Tomatoes. You can also end this meal with a sweet treat like this Shirley Temple Cake.
Here are a few tips that you can use to make sure this recipe turns out perfectly for you when you make it.
- For easy clean up use a slow cooker liner. No scrubbing involved.
- If you are adding vegetables to this dish you can add them in the last hour of the cooking time, unless you are adding a root vegetable like potatoes or carrots, you will need to add them at the beginning.
- Serve this lemon chicken thighs recipe over a bed of mashed potatoes or white rice for a family-friendly meal.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Yes, there is no need to cook the chicken first, the slow cooker will do the chicken for you.
It will take 4-6 hours for this chicken to be cooked all the way through.
Your chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees f when it is fully cooked.
🍽 More Slow Cooker Recipes
Do you enjoy slow cooker recipes? If so, give these recipes a try:
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Thighs
- slow cooker
- small bowl
- 6-8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ stick butter
- Zest of half a lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- Fresh parsley and lemon slices for garnish optional
- Place the chicken thighs into a 8 quart slow cooker. In a small bowl combine the chicken broth, lemon juice and lemon zest and stir. Pour all over the chicken thighs.
- In another small bowl combine all the dry ingredients, the Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and mix, sprinkle over top of the chicken thighs.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic all over top and place the slices of butter all over.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Once done add chopped parsley on top and top with sliced lemons. (optional) enjoy!