This Slow Cooker Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff is the ultimate comfort food. Chicken thighs, mushrooms, and egg noodles are bathed in a rich, creamy sauce loaded with sour cream, cream cheese, and onion soup mix.
We’ve been making beef stroganoff for years, and while we love that classic, hallmark sauce, even the most delicious recipes get boring after a while. That’s why we changed things up with this version that features chicken thighs and mushrooms.
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It only uses a few simple ingredients.
- It’s an easy slow cooker recipe that requires very little work.
- It’s full of tender, juicy chicken, mushrooms, and a classic stroganoff sauce.
This recipe only uses a handful of simple ingredients that you can find in your kitchen and at the grocery store. Like most recipes of its kind, this one uses nothing fancy.
You’ll find all the ingredients here, but check out the recipe card at the end of the post for the exact quantities.
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Dry onion soup mix
- Fresh small mushrooms
- Wide egg noodles
- Cream cheese – room temperature
- Sour cream
- Chopped fresh parsley
🔪 How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff
This is a slow cooker recipe so it’s super easy to make. All you’ll do is throw everything into the slow cooker and let it go. That’s pretty much it!
Step 1: Add Ingredients to the Slow Cooker
Add the chicken broth, chicken thighs, ketchup, onion soup mix, and mushrooms to the slow cooker.
Step 2: Cook
Cook for 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high. Then, gently break up the chicken.
Step 3: Add Sour Cream and Cream Cheese
Whisk sour cream and cream cheese together in a small bowl until smooth, then whisk the mixture into the chicken mixture.
Step 4: Cook the Egg Noodles
Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions for al dente.
Step 5: Combine and Serve
Add the egg noodles to the slow cooker and stir gently to coat. Serve with parsley garnish and enjoy!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Spicy – Add red pepper flakes for a kick of heat.
- Sour Cream – If you don’t have sour cream, you can use full-fat Greek yogurt.
- Chicken Thighs – You can use chicken breasts, pork, and of course, beef for this recipe.
- Mushrooms – Use button mushrooms or baby portobellos in this recipe.
If you think this chicken stroganoff looks good, then we think you’ll love our slow cooker pot roast stroganoff.
- Measuring cups
- Small bowl
- Slow cooker
- Large wooden or plastic spoon
Refrigerate this slow cooker chicken mushroom stroganoff for up to 3 days. Do not freeze this. It won’t defrost well.
What to Serve with Chicken Stroganoff
This is a hearty meal all on its own, so we recommend keeping things simple. Serve this stroganoff with some crusty bread, garlic bread, breadsticks, or a simple salad.
- Be sure your cream cheese is at room temperature so you can fully combine it with the sour cream.
- If you prefer your stroganoff thicker, add a slurry of 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Be gentle when stirring in the egg noodles to prevent breakage.
- Cook your egg noodles to al dente and no further.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Originally a Russian beef dish made with a mustard sauce, over the years, stroganoff has changed to become more synonymous with a broth-based sauce thickened and flavored with sour cream.
Today, stroganoff can be made with beef, pork, or chicken.
If you cook your noodles too long or stir them too much while they cook, they’ll become mushy.
Cook the noodles only to al dente, then stir them into the chicken stroganoff gently just before serving.
🍽 More Recipes
Do you enjoy chicken? Then try these delicious recipes:
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Slow Cooker Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff
- slow cooker
- large pot
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 ounce dry onion soup mix one evenlope
- 8 ounces fresh small mushrooms
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- In your slow cooker add the chicken broth, chicken thighs, ketchup, onion soup mix and mushrooms.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Gently break the chicken up.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cream cheese and sour cream until smooth.
- Add to the slow cooker and whisk in.
- Meanwhile cook your noodles until al dente.
- Drain your pasta thoroughly.
- Add the pasta to the slow cooker and stir to coat.
- Garnish with parsley if you prefer.