This Slow Cooker Orange Chicken is the perfect one-pot meal to make for your family. It’s a healthy, flavorful dish that can be served over rice or quinoa. The sweet and tangy orange sauce adds so a delicious flavor to the tender chicken.
One of the best things about this recipe is it only takes a few minutes prep work and then the crock pot does the rest of the work. So, that means that you don’t have to spend all day in the kitchen worrying about dinner. Isn’t that great?
Table of contents
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s full of flavor and perfect for busy weeknights since the slow cooker does most of the
- You can make a takeout favorite at home without having to spend extra money on eating out.
- You only need a handful of ingredients so this recipe won’t break the bank.
You only need a few simple ingredients to help you make this takeout favorite at home. Take a quick trip to your local grocery store and gather these basic staples so you can enjoy this savory meal.
- chicken tenderloins
- vegetable oil
- orange marmalade
- low sodium soy sauce
- sesame oil
- ground ginger
- garlic cloves
- red pepper flakes
- sesame seeds
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
Making this orange chicken is so simple, just follow the step by step directions below and you will have a delicious meal that your whole family will enjoy with little effort.
Step 1: Sear the chicken
Coat your chicken pieces in cornstarch. Brown the chicken quickly in the pan. We are not looking to cook the chicken through, just get a little color on each side.
Step 2: Add the chicken to the crock pot
Place the browned chicken in the slow cooker.
Step 3: Make the sauce
In a mixing bowl combine the marmalade, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Stir everything to combine.
Step 4: Cook the chicken
Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours. Check and stir half way through.
Step 5: Garnish and serve
Garnish with the scallions and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Serve over rice!
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
- Vegetables: Add other vegetables such as bell peppers or carrots to the slow cooker.
- Pineapple: Add in some pineapple chunks for a touch of sweetness.
- Chicken: Swap out the chicken tenderloins for boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
If you love slow cooker chicken recipes then next time check out this Slow Cooker Chicken Lo Mein recipe. It’s a another treat takeout at home recipe to make.
You will need a couple simple kitchen tools to help you make this chinese food at home recipe. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy this sweet and savory meal with your family.
- large bowl
- large skillet
- slow cooker
Leftovers – Store the leftovers in an airtight container and place it in the fridge. The orange chicken will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Freezing – This recipe can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Place any leftovers into a freezer friendly container or bag and freeze.
Reheating – Reheat the leftovers on the stove top over medium heat or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
Here are a few tips to help make sure that this delicious recipe turns out perfectly for you every time that you make it.
- For easy clean up spray your slow cooker well nonstick cooking spray, or a slow cooker liner.
- Try to cut the chicken into similar sized pieces so that it cooks evenly when you make it.
- If your sauce is too thin you can thicken it by mixing one teaspoon of cornstarch with two teaspoons of the orange sauce, and then adding that to the slow cooker and simmering until it thickens.
- You can also add a touch of spice by adding a couple pinches of red pepper flakes to your sauce.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Orange chicken is a versatile dish and goes great with steamed rice, chow mein noodles, or even roasted vegetables.
Yes! You can make the sauce and marinate the chicken up to 24 hours before cooking if you’d like.
If your sauce is too thick, add a little bit of water or chicken broth to thin it out. You can also add a touch more soy sauce and marmalade for additional flavor.
🍽 More Slow Cooker Recipes
Do you enjoy slow cooker meals, try these delicious recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Parmesan Garlic Chicken Pasta
📌 PIN IT!!
Want to make this recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin this recipe, so you can find it later.
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- slow cooker
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 pounds chicken tenderloins cut into bite size pieces
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds more for garnish
- Scallions for garnish
- Coat your chicken pieces in cornstarch.
- Heat up the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Brown the chicken quickly in the pan. We are not looking to cook the chicken through, just get a little color on each side.
- Place the browned chicken in the slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl combine the marmalade, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Stir everything to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours. Check and stir half way through. Slow cookers cook differently so make sure to stir and make sure your slow cooker isnt running too hot and burning the sauce.
- Garnish with the scallions and a sprinkle of sesame
- Serve over rice!